Saturday, January 14, 2006

An Issue of Discrimination and Freedom of Expression in America

An open letter to CPU-NC: Hello! Enclosed are some pictures from yesterday's New Year's party at Counsel Peng's residence in San Francisco. Yesterday was a good party. The cordial Counsel Peng, his wife, Mrs. Florence Fang , Lin Qing, Betty Yuan, Mr. and Mrs. Wei, and many good friends all were very warm and happy. As a member of South Bay Karaoke Club, I was not too shy to dedicate an old Shanghai nostalgic song. The reason is that I attempted to sing this song in my Taiwan Dongwu Soochow University Alumni party (Dongwu University was founded in Suzhou and Shanghai), but I was not able to do so. My alumni yearbook's Shanghai portion was edited out. So I must try to emphasize that I love Shanghai. Happy New Year! Elizabeth Free Mind’s Comments: The past political hatred against Chiang Kai-Shek has gripped many Taiwanese minds and they always vent their venom without second thoughts. Some people blurted out “Old Thief” when they referred to the old Nationalist governments and it really hurts when this ‘reflex’ behavior is revealed and I shun away from being their friend, even though they may be artistically or technically very advanced people. It has become a reflexive distortion after years of confusion of both Taiwanese propaganda and Chiang’s mistake to distort the true Nationalist democratic spirit. The backlash is that the Taiwanese turned into fascists without knowing that it is wrong to condemn the whole group of race and ethnic culture to be aggressive tyrants, when they have become tyrannical themselves. I have reflected this issue to the previous CPU leaders before. It is not correct to suppress an ethnic culture in the American Chinese community by Taiwanese self-proclaimed Taiwanese. Their version and definition of Taiwanese, or a politically correct Taiwanese is not to include people like me, who were born in Taiwan but of parents from mainland China. So in the alumni gathering, despite that Dongwu University was founded in Suzhou and Shanghai, in my articles, and alumni publishing materials, I was discouraged to mention anything about Shanghai. This is a conscious control to eradicate the mainland China consciousness from our life and memory. This is an unacceptable behavior by the Taiwan racially-motivated extremist party DPP. I must declare this is a wrongful act in today’s society and in America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home