Monday, February 06, 2006

I Woke Up With Edelweiss, and then I met the Young Marshal's Daughter

Old Marshall's Granddaughter, and Granddaughter of Central Committee Member, who Took Back Manchuria
Chang Tso-lin (1873–1928), the Old Marshall, was a Chinese general who fought in Manchuria against the Japanese in the Russo-Japanese war (1904-1905).
CCA group picture, with Manchurian Young Marshal's Daughter in the Center, in blue. I woke up with Edelweiss pure and white. Echoing in my dream is the yearning of a nation for their natural land and love Bless my homeland forever. Then I thought of the Chinese folksong, Moli Hua, Jasmine flower. A very pure young child’s voice. Sandor Petofi (1823-1849), a Hungarian poet said: “Liberty, love! These two I need. For my love I will sacrifice life, for liberty I will sacrifice my love.” Petõfi was a devoted advocate of freedom and self-determination of Hungary. Please listen attentively to Petofi’s heartbeat and passion. Eastern Europeans were resisting against tyrannical ruling of foreign control. It is all because of such horrible misunderstandings about the Nationalist and their defending their freedom against invasion from foreign country, either Soviet international communist ideology, or Japanese militarism. Why would Russia, America, and England jointly decide in a secret treaty called Yalta to give a country’s sovereignty to be under Russian control? Sympathy for Manchuria’s Tragic Fate The Day I met Young Marshal’s daughter My high school teacher introduced me to his Manchurian regional celebrity, the young Marshal’s daughter. She said “All seems so far away...” I chatted with her at a Chinese New Year celebration gathering. They are in seclusion, but make rare appearances. I told her I like her family, and believe that her father was a good man. She told me that her grandfather founded a university and how the Manchurian airplanes and Manchurian pilots served China against Japanese. Your grandfather is Zhang Zuo Lin, the old marshal? She said, “He was killed by the Japanese.” “I was very little.” At that time, the Nationalist government didn’t have air force or airplanes. Zhang’s army was the one that had the planes. I was in disbelief that after my near 3 decade study of Manchuria, I can see the relative subject in front of me. During that era, grandmother was in college, and dating grandfather. Grandmother’s father was younger than the old marshal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home