Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A Journalist’s Memoir on the Soviet Red Army’s Rape of Manchuria

During the period of recovering Manchuria, General Sun Li Ren in Chang Chun City. He is in the center of the photograph, with his hand on his waist.

1000 Years of Sighs – The Soviet Red Army’s Rape of Manchuria and Memoir of Chinese Communist Occupation By Journalist Yu Heng

This is my principle during 25 years of writing. I write my own eyewitness accounts. With politics as longitude, and my reporter’s life as latitude, I weave such a book. I try to search through old newspapers, to match my memory and my diaries. I want to reach a high degree of truth.

“Every phrase has its bearing, and every word penned has its basis”. I don’t ever want to exaggerate to make it tainted, in order to keep its real credibility. After 25 years life as a journalist, I intend to use 2 years to write a complete document, so that there is an authentic record.

His record is about the era between 1945-1949, when communists took over Manchuria, and then all of China.

During this time, the United States was dominated by left-wing policymakers such as Harry Truman, George Marshall, Stuart Leighton, and John Fairbank, who tried to coerce the Chinese Nationalist government to split the country up with Mao, and when the Nationalists refused, retaliated with an arms embargo that crippled their war efforts.

During this period, the Chinese Nationalists were not supplied with even one gun from America, while the Soviets and Chinese Communists took weapons from the surrendered Japanese Guandong Army in Manchuria. Because of the secret pact of Yalta, the Japanese surrendered not to the Chinese, but to the Soviet Red Army in Manchuria.

In the beginning the Nationalists were recovering with success, but when George Marshall showed up in China, things started to turn for the bad. Marshall asked the Nationalists for a truce, while the Chinese Communists such as Lin Biao were growing in power and recruiting new troops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home